Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Sewing and Life-What do they have in common?




As I started with the green ric-rac first and was then going to apply the yellow, green it is. The double ric-rac would have been a great effect, however, as I mentioned in an earlier post, it doesn't line up that way around the curves. It stretches differently and a whole nodule of ric-rac can end up needing to be eased around the curve. I considered tacking it by hand, but 5 and 1/4 yards of ric-rac I wouldn't get this done until Christmas!
Ric-Rac out of alignment


Life lesson #1, too many things going on at once, eliminate what is not working. That doesn't mean get rid of it all together, it just means, not in this moment or in this place.
Here is the bib completed with just the simple green ric-rac outlining the pieces.
(Ric-rac-ric-rac-ric-rac-ric-rac)
The next step is to cut the center of the bottom of the apron skirt to the slash marks for the curve of the ruffle and attach an additional piece. The directions recommend doing a french seam. I love the finish of a french seam, so I went ahead and did that.


Lesson #2 Just DO it!
Sew wrong sides together
Pressing the seam, stitch again

I am so pleased with the results, I photograph the inserted section and realize... AUGGGHHH!!!



The cherries are going in opposite directions!

Lesson #3 (#2 is a photo caption) Most likely no one else will notice. But YOU WILL KNOW! Will it compromise the end result by doing it over? Will I be happier with it done the way I want it done, or will it compromise the fabric. On delicate fabrics, I would leave it, as the handling of the fabric, tearing it out and doing it over again may make the fabric appear overworked. Sometimes a more creative solution is in order. In this case however, my trusty friend the seam ripper. (it is wise to be on as friendly terms with the seam ripper as the sewing machine-positive and negative forces at work.. always keeping the balance)
Seam ripper at work, French seams are twice the work to take out! EEK!


My tapered gathering stitches
Instructions-is it just me????




















I restitched the french seams, pressed them towards the outside edges of the apron and proceeded to the dreaded 1/8" to 1/16" tapered stitch line. Which leads to Life Lesson #4. If you are dreading something ahead and haven't done what you need to do to get there. Most likely, it will be a daunting task. As I progressed through the instructions, I realized what they really wanted me to do. The task was for the gathering stitches, not the seam! Piece of cake! (Well, no, I am trying not to think about cake these days) Just take it one step at a time and you will ease right into the task with effortless success!



See! the cherries are going the same direction!
Detail of the yellow ric rac insert




















Finally, the joining of the gathered edge, the flat edge and the ric-rac. The directions look like they want you to do this all in one step. That seemed like a torture! I basted the ric-rac on and then stitched the seams together.. The green ric rac seemed to get lost in the fabric, so here is where the yellow became useful. And voila! the apron skirt is complete, sans ric arc on the edge, which will be green. I needed to take a break from it and conquer the technology of sharing.. as you can see..we have pictures. Yup! Remember to restart your computer after a software update... !! Things go much more smoothly. (that was the bonus life lesson!)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Leave a comment, critique or a question. I love questions... Come back soon.